I encourage you to let Blizzard know how you feel about how they’re communicating with the hunter community. It’s not the place to complain about the changes themselves, but for how they communicate those changes. Think back upon Ghost Stalkers, Spirit changes, Charge nerfs, buffs to AotV, and the current threat issues and let them know in a constructive manner, what they’re doing right and wrong.
It doesn’t need to be as long as this, actually it probably shouldn’t be this long at all, but a quick note to let them know you’re not happy from enough of us may be what they need to hear. Just keep it polite. Heck, copy and paste this in an email if you really want to.
Sent to: WoWcmfeedback@blizzard.com
Subject: Pet threat changes and CMs
The CMs are doing a terrible job explaining what’s going on with threat changes to growl for pets. Hunters are a soloing class, that is their greatest strength, and growl is the skill that is based upon. Many have been having problems with growl not scaling sufficiently as they get higher into raiding, and have been waiting for an enhancement there. The mere idea of reducing its threat generation (which it seemed it was initially but has yet to be determined) is seen to be an insult which is why many are upset. The CMs have been very unsympathetic when addressing the hunter community, while also being unforthcoming with what changes are actually being made. So far we have been told:
1) “The hunter pet ability Growl will no longer scale with pet Attack Power.” (From the patch notes)
This is huge since prior to this, the only evidence of growl scaling was through pet AP. We had thought that level 70 pets generate about 5.7 threat for each point above 734 attack power. The hunter’s RAP contributed only in the form of increasing the pet’s attack power which then increased threat. Many thought this meant growl no longer scaled at all.
2) “Growl was scaling incorrectly before so it’s been changed to scale with the hunter’s AP starting at around 1200 AP. Other pet abilities such as bite, claw, etc will still scale with pet AP.”
Neth made a valiant attempt at clarification, but doesn’t go far enough and even introduces another issue. So the change is that growl’s threat will now scale with hunter’s AP. We all assume she means RAP so that’s forgivable and understood. And giving the new threshold is also nice. If she had taken the further step and stated what the RAP/threat conversion above 1200 actually was and stopped there, we probably would have been OK.
HOWEVER, she states bite, claw, etc scale with pet AP which doesn’t currently happen. We now need clarification there. Even just ‘oops.’ There’s even a possibility that those skills have a threat component that we don’t know about given the context of the discussion.
Either way, with ‘facts’ in hand one of the major figures in the hunter community, Mania, went to see how much threat scaled. In doing so, she found no evidence of any scaling through a well-thought out methodology, and posted in the test forums.
3) “There was not a change to the way Growl scales with hunter AP, the bug fix eliminated growl scaling with the pet’s attack power.”
As stated earlier, there was no evidence before prior to this discussion that hunter’s RAP (again CMs state the wrong stat) affected growl except for indirectly through pet AP. He does not state how hunter AP ~should~ affect growl, just that it does as if everyone should know that. He continues:
4) “Growl has always scaled with hunter attack power in exactly the same way as it does in 2.4.2, there were no changes. I have verified multiple times that growl threat does scale with hunter AP AND that it is doing so in the same way in 2.4.1 and 2.4.2.”
This actually seems to be true as evidenced by the testing in the thread. Hunter RAP does not affect growl’s threat in either 2.4.1 or 2.4.2 AT ALL. If he had actually wanted to COMMUNICATE with the hunters, which is his job as CM, he should have taken the opportunity to actually state exactly how ‘AP’ (because I’m sure he’d get it wrong again) was supposed to be affecting growl. We could then TEST THIS which is what the TEST server is for, right? RIGHT? I mean, we have no idea if Neth had a typo and actually meant 2100 instead of 1200 or if there supposed to be a single sudden jump of 150 threat which then does not scale further or any of a plethora of other possibilities. There is no communication happening here.
5) “This is the last post I will be making about pet threat, no matter what I say I’m accused of lying or being wrong. Right now as of 2.4.2 growl is creating the intended amount of threat and is scaling with hunter attack power at an intended rate. If you do not agree with this then please post your opinions in the appropriate forums (suggestions or class forums). “
Rather than treat this as a legitimate concern and in the face of contradictory evidence, Hortus states ‘I’m right, you’re wrong, now shut up” ending all discussion by locking the thread with no clarification or actual supporting evidence for his case. This is a legitimate concern and needs testing and discussion. If you’re going to cut that off, why even have a test? Not to mention he does not appear to understand the concern itself. His attitude seems to be ‘it’s fine, why are you upset?’ Further he has insulted one of the most visible members of the hunter community in Mania ( http://www.maniasarcania.com/ http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/ ).
This change affects me personally a great deal. I have been attempting to compare each pet family at level 70, and the only way this change would _not_ affect that project is if somehow 1616 RAP gave exactly 199 more threat. I’m fine with that. This is not my game, this is yours and you have the right to change it however you please with any justification or lack thereof. However, you do have a responsibility to your community to accurately and fully communicate changes, especially those which would have a great affect. This change affects any hunter that solos at all, and I don’t know anyone that spends a full 100% of their time raiding or in PvP. The dismissive tone given to player complaints and testing is completely inappropriate.
The fundamental cause of all this confusion is we have been told
1) Growl does not scale with pet AP (which was all it scaled with before)
2) Growl has been changed to scale with hunter RAP (which it did not scale with before and we have no evidence it does now)
3) Growl does not scale with either pet AP or hunter RAP. (which we have evidence for and the CMs are contradicting without clarification)
We are left not knowing what the heck is going on. Better communication is needed.
I hope this letter prompts you to clarify the issue, and communicate more pro-actively with the community.